She looked at her friend really confident of herself, almost defying.
- It's not that easy.
- Yes it is. He cheated, didn't he? That's what you have to do.
- But what if...
- What if what? He didn't meant to fuck someone else? Honey, wake up. Men are trash. Why do you think I repel all those crazies?
- We have been together for two years now.
- Great. Remind him of that while you dump him.
- It's not that easy. We have shared so many things and I don't know if ending it just like that is the right solution.
Her friend sighed and drank a sip of her coffee. She raised her hand and asked the waiter to bring another slice of pineapple cheesecake.
- So, what other solution is there?
- Well, he looked for someone else didn't he? Maybe I failed to...
- You failed? Let me ask you: have you fucked someone behind his back?
- Then you haven't failed. There are things bound not to work and that's fine but you have to speak up and say "I don't like this" o "I don't like that". Going behind everyone's back like that says a lot about him.
- You're talking about him as if you didn't knew him, as if you hadn't laughed at his jokes or enjoyed all the parties at his house.
- That doesn't have anything to do with this. Yes, I enjoyed that all but he had a responsibility with you, like a contract if you will. He committed to respect you no matter what and he didn't.
The waiter comes with the cheesecake. She asks the other girl if she wants something. She asks for another cappuccino.
- I know you're right. But what should I do? I love him. I hate him for what he did but I love him more than that.
- Look, I don't know it all, that is true. Maybe you are more of a compassionate being that me and you can forgive him and make him a good person or whatever. But I strongly believe people don't just change. People only discover things inside that they have had all their lives but it's not like evolution unfolding before your eyes.
- So, according to you, I should just dump him?
- Yes. It would hurt like a bitch but, believe me, that pain is much better than trying and trying and failing where you knew you'd fail.
The girl with the problem holds her friends hands and smile at her.
- I think I'll have to think about it but thank you so much for this. Really.
The friends smiles at her and then hey change the subject, to a happier one.
* * *
A week later, the two friends reunite again. The one with the cheating boyfriends arrives first and, a few minutes later, her friend sits in front of her. She doesn't say much as she knows her friend should be the first to speak.
- There's a lot to say.
- No surprise there.
- Actually, there kind of is...
- What do you mean?
- Remember when I told you I had caught him? In his house?
- Yeah, you had the key in. You told me you were there to surprise him with a gift you found for him. But when you entered his room, he was naked having sex with a girl. The girl covered herself and you left, pissed, of course.
- That sums it up.
Her friend smiles.
- So, what is the surprise? Was the girl a hooker or what?
The other woman tries to speak but can't. She grunts, then she smiles and covers her face. Then back to a straight face.
- What? What's funny?
- It happens, I lied...
- I lied.
- About what? You didn't caught him in the act? There was no gift? What?
- No, that was all true. But, before I entered the room I heard... moaning.
- Oh... So?
- I went in because it sounded strange.
- He was fucking another girl. Of course it was strange.
- B, he wasn't fucking a girl.
Her friend went mute. For a second she was confused but then her eyes grew big as she understood what her friend was saying and what her earlier smile meant.
- Yeah... I know.
- But... You dumped him, right?
- Talked to him?
- I did. He kinda explained or whatever. I feel like an idiot, to be honest.
- I know. I mean, what a surprise, huh?
- It really wasn't, you know? Somehow, I always knew it. I saw signs and just now I realize how i all made sense.
- Tough luck, then. Two years...
- I'm trying not to think about it... You know what's weird?
- I feel sorry for him. I really do. I mean, I know him. Like, really know him and I don't hate him or whatever.
- You are the best girl a guy or gay or girl could ask for.
They both then laughed and the tension that had been brewing for weeks disappeared. Like the last time, they changed the subject.
Although, there was one more surprise ahead but not for the girl that had been cheated on but for her friend. Guess who was the guy covering himself with blankets in the bed of her best friend's ex?